Monday, February 25, 2008

Shizzle on the streets

Since we moved to "The Village" I have been overwhelmed by the intersection of lifestyles, incomes and just plain diversity of the city of Alexandria. First I was amused by the kids/high school students on our street and oh so quickly my amusement turned to aggravation.

Me at first: "Oh look at those energetic kids playing football in the middle of the street how wonderful they are outside and being constructive."
Quickly turned to: "Those f-ing kids are in the street again, blocking traffic and WAIT a minute did that football leave a dent in my car??"

Me: "Oh how I love hearing such a great diversity of music"
Turned to: "Those f-ing kids and their stupid ass music - why does it have to be so loud I can hear it from the opposite side of the street."

Me: "The neighborhood children are so nice coming over and petting the dogs, its so fun for all of them."
Turned to: "If those kids come over here with McDonalds taunting my dogs one more time I'm going to let Deuce loose on them"

As you can tell I have become more and more bitter. I'm not used to even having neighbors that I can SEE let alone have to have daily interactions with.

One of the best things to happen this month was someone broke in to our neighbors car and stole a wood saw. The brilliance was the wood saw was used for, well sawing wood. And sawing wood creates sawdust. Everyone with me so far? Good. So when you steal something covered in sawdust you MIGHT want to brush it off or else it will leave a trail right to your front door. Yes, this REALLY happened. The lovely rasta house on the corner sent one of their brightest scholars out to steal and leave a trail. (And calling them rastas just came from their license plate I am not stereo-typing)

Ahhhh...the list does go on but lemme tell you it gets better and better.
Oh and our neighbor called the cops (as would anyone just to point out their total stupidity) and coincidentally the next day the window in his car was shot - yes shot - he says probably with a bb gun but still yikes!

This is what happens when you have overpriced housing and section-8 residents all in the same neighborhood. I miss New Jersey - somehow I never dealt with stuff like that EVER there. Then again it was Skillman quite a far cry from Alexandria.

No comments:

Post a Comment