Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Wii Fit

About a year ago when the Wii Fit first came out I gave into all the hype and bought the balance board and actually played with it for awhile. I have to say that I HATE WORKING OUT. I'm not one of those people that once I get to the gym who actually enjoys being there, I hate it.
I started working out last January and did so on a pretty steady routine for about 5 months, and I didn't lose 1 freaking pound. Everyone around me told me it was because I was turning fat into muscle and that muscle weighs more than fat. Bullshit. Not bullshit that it doesn't weigh more, but bullshit that I don't care. I wanted to lose weight and I wasn't. It sucked.
So about 2 months before my wedding I completely lost all motivation and stopped working out entirely.
Back to the Wii Fit, it was fun for awhile trying all the yoga poses, but the mastery of the poses was your ability to hold your balance, which is not the purpose of yoga. I got bored with the same old routines that lasted for about 2 minutes and the fact that you can't program a continious workout session, you have to keep picking up the remote and choosing your next workout pose. So needless to say, it lost my attention.
Recently I bought the Wii Fit EA Sports Active Trainer. It comes with "resistance bands" (read: a long rubber-band with 2 tie on straps) and a leg thingy. But it promises to be an actual workout routine complete with trainer and on-going workouts. I haven't tried it yet as it's been nice out after work and I've been walking with my dogs after work for about 1 mile a day.
But today was the beginning of Daylight Savings Time so that means unless I get out of work at 4:30 I won't be able to walk the dogs in the daylight. And the people that drive down my street barely avoid me when it's light out, and there aren't any sidewalks on my road, some of the routes that I chose around the neighborhood so have sidewalks, but not all. So I really don't feel safe walking after dark, and well it makes me lose all motivation to do so. When I leave work and it's already dark out all I want to do is go home, put on my PJs and watch TV.
So I'm hoping this new workout game will give all it promises and make me start to workout again. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment