Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Biking...it hurts!

I haven't been on a bike in years and when I say years I mean over 10 years. Yes, I have a cruiser at the beach house that I've been on once and that was a bit wobbly but it was for about 1/2 mile. Sunday we (meaning Jason) decided to go on the trail by the Parkway for what turned into a 10-mile bike ride. This was some intense riding too - it wasn't just flat and straight it was hilly and twisty and for a second a little dangerous.
I was riding along - a bit slow too might I add considering this was like I said my first bike ride in many years, getting used to being on a bike and even remembering what the gears meant and how they worked was a challenge.
Off we went and things were going ok acutally. We entered a part of the trail that was a bit woodsy and very steep. I was slowly going down a hill on my side of the trail (yes there are lines to separate left and right sides) and I saw out of the top of my vision 1 bike coming towards me in the opposite direction. So I stayed on my course then all of a sudden another bike came along also in my lane. Noticing that the biker wasn't stopping coming RIGHT at me I let out a soft scream and tried to get out of the way. Stupid girl went right into me then was stopped by a tree, she fell off her bike and tumbled not once but 2 times head over heels and promptly got up, brushed herself off and asked me if I was ok.
I couldn't believe it - was I ok? I was fine - she was the one doing somersaults down a hill off a bike. She quickly got back on her bike and they rode away, slightly embarassed I'm sure.
After that the only mentionable events were that I couldn't force myself to finish the trail to end up at George Washington's house - what did he ever do for me anyways? :)
So I convinced Jason to turn around and away we went finishing our 10-mile ride. The next day my legs didn't hurt just my ass from sitting on a boy's seat on a girls bike. Boys seats are too narrow and my ass is too wide for any level of comfort. So hopefully next time I will get a better seat and the trip won't be so painful.
I'm thinking after my 5-day trip to Chicago and all the food I'm going to be eating I'm going to need another 10 miles. Whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment