Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Springtime!!

So instead of working through my lunchhour I decided to finally blog a bit-hooray!
A few weeks ago I started gardening finally after the LONGEST winter!
So I started with the seeds that I have from germinating my own plants last fall. Basically the plants that reseed themselves are easy to spot - their dried up husks have seeds inside them.
So I took my zinnia's some petunia's and margiolds and dried the seeds in paper bags over the winter.
We had our friends from Cutting Edge landscaping do up our yard with mulch and they did such a nice job. It's amazing what some cut up trees will do for your landscaping. So I went around all the trees in the front and back yard and planted seeds. Then the next nice weekend we hit up Lowe's and I bought pansy's and some other plants.
I also ordered over $300 worth of plants from Spring Hill Nurseries - a catalog that I recevied in the mail and that included some raspberry bushes, Crepe Myrtle trees, some flowers that they say love shade, some bushes and ornamental grasses. I've also added some other plants and bushes - too many to list.
But the weather like today's (rainy and crappy) is actually really good for my plants and it does make me happy that I don't have to water anything.
I will say that I am a bit upset about my rain barrel that I bought off Amazon. It won't fill up all the way unless you cut your gutter pipe to filter into the barrel and Jason was NOT having that. So we filled it with hose water and somehow it's supposed to create enough force for me to water like a real hose? I might be missing something but it's just not working that well and I am a bit disappointed.
But so far I have seen flowers coming off my plants but nothing is really popping up from the seeds yet but more to come.
I also started my vegetable garden and planted 4 rows of corn (might be too early for them yet), tomatoes, watermellon, lettuce and cucumbers. This is my first year with a REAL garden. Last year I gardened out of some brick planters in the backyard so I'm really excited to see how much I can get going.

No comments:

Post a Comment