Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight was released on DVD yesterday and being the faitful Netflix customer that I am I added it to the top of my queue and there it was in the mail ready for me yesterday.
I had watched it before when Mr. Jason bought it from the bootleg guy - I have many issues with bootlegs and no one of them is NOT that they are illegal I could care less. The issues are: the picture sucks, the sound sucks and they are GHETTO. But my biggest complaint about the Dark Knight bootleg - it cut off in the last 20 minutes!! Sucked big time.
So we settled down to watch in stellar color and sound a real DVD. And the one thing I kept thinking was how amazing Heath Ledger was and that many people probably didn't realize his true gift until this movie. He was amazing as the Joker, just breathtakingly amazing. The laugh is what got me the most - it was so on point it was unreal.
The first time we watched it we weren't that crazy about it - why does everyone call him "The Batman"? And why does Christan Bale put on that ultra-scruffy voice to speak as The Bat? And my biggest complaint is schnauzer-faced Maggie Gyllenhall -- she does NOT deserve to be the leading lady in a Bat Man movie nor did Katie Holmes. It's like casting one of the Duff sisters as a Bond Girl. It doesn't work unless you are a descendant of Michelle Pfeiffer or Nicole Kidman.
But moving back to the movie...We both said how much more we liked it the second time around but my thoughts lead back to the horrible quality of the movie and that might have been more of a factor than I considered.

Favorite Cameo: Anthony Michael Hall as the news reporter - he is STILL fat

and Deebo from the Friday Movies - he plays the "Tattooed Prisoner" who throws the detonation devise out the window. Brilliant acting.

But my favorite quote of the movie was:
"Madness is like gravity, all you need is a little push" - The Joker

No comments:

Post a Comment